At Middleton-in-Teesdale Primary School our first and foremost priority is keeping our children safe. In this section, you’ll find a list of school policies, actions and useful signposts that helps us as a school and you as parents, to keep our little ones safe.
As ever, if you do have a problem or need any further information, then please do get in touch and we’ll be delighted to help.
We will ensure that:
- The welfare of the child remains paramount.
- All children and adults whatever their age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity status, race, religion, belief, sex or sexual orientation have the right to be protected from harm.
- All suspicions and allegations of abuse will be taken seriously and responded to swiftly and appropriately.
- All staff and volunteers working at our school have a responsibility to report concerns to the designated leads for Safeguarding: Mr Whelerton and Miss V Oliver.
Areas of Safeguarding
Our safeguarding policies cover all areas of school life and include:
- Staff & Visitors- ensuring they are vetted, informed & trained.
- Children’s Behaviour- promoting safer & happier behaviours & lifestyles.
- Parents & Carers- promoting links & supporting families.
- Intimate Care – guidelines for if we need to clean or administer medication
- E-safety – how we protect and how you can protect your children online
- Premises -keeping them safe, pleasant & fit for purpose.
- Curriculum -providing positive, life affirming learning experiences.
- Outside School- ensuring safer activities and environments outside school
Members of Staff Responsible
We are all responsible for ensuring that each child remains safe, however the Designated Lead for Safeguarding is Mrs. Hodgson.
We follow strict procedures to ensure that everyone who works with our children is vetted, keeping our children as safe as possible. Ongoing checks and ‘whistle-blowing’ are in line with current policy.
- All school staff are trained regularly in child protection issues and they are aware of the procedures to follow.
- Staff are encouraged to be vigilant in order to maintain the safety of our children.
- All Staff are given a copy of the document ‘KEEPING CHILDREN SAFE IN EDUCATION’.
- Keeping Children Safe in Education (2020)
- Prevent Training
All staff have an up-to-date understanding of current Prevent Issues staff and are able to identify children who may be vulnerable to radicalisation.
Mrs Hodgson is the school Single Point of Contact and both Mrs Hodgson and Ms Cunliffe receive regular training on the Prevent Agenda.
Child Protection with Safeguarding Policy
All staff have an up-to-date understanding of safeguarding children issues and are able to implement the safeguarding children policy and procedure appropriately. Policies are in line with current guidance and procedures.
Staff are able to respond appropriately to any:
- significant changes in children’s behaviour;
- deterioration in their general well-being;
- unexplained bruising, marks or signs of possible abuse;
- signs of neglect;
- comments children make which give cause for concern.
- All staff are aware of the need to maintain privacy and confidentiality.
We have an obligation to obtain necessary information from parents in advance of a child being admitted to school, including:
- emergency contact numbers;
- the child’s special dietary requirements, preferences or food allergies the child may have;
- the child’s special health requirements;
- information about who has legal contact with the child; and who has parental responsibility for the child.
Written parental permission is requested, at the time of the child’s admission to the provision, to the seeking of any necessary emergency medical advice or treatment in the future.
PARENTS & CARERS MUST TELL US OF ANY CHANGES TO THESE DETAILS.
We take confidentiality very seriously. Any information which we hold is treated as confidential and shared on a ‘need-to-know’ basis.
Links with External Agencies
Because our first concern must be the well-being of your child, there may be occasions when we have to consult other agencies before we contact you. The procedures we have to follow have been laid down in accordance with the local authority child protection procedures.
We are fortunate to be supported by a range of external agencies which can be called upon to support the work we do in school. These include School Nurse, Health Practitioners, Educational Psychology, Child & Adolescent Mental Health Services, Behaviour Support, Social Services and Specialists in supporting Special Educational Needs.
Local Safeguarding Children’s Board
Durham Local Safeguarding Children Board (LSCB) is a statutory body which is independently chaired and consists of senior representatives of all the principal agencies and organisations working together to safeguard and promote the welfare of children and young people in the County. Our Local Authority Designated Officer (LADO) is Sharon Lewis. Details of Durham LSCB can be found on the DLSCB website and provide an excellent resource for both parents and professionals.
Read Sean Barry’s Policy Update for the latest LCSB news in our area by clicking the link below:
Reporting Concerns or Complaints
Further to the above procedures, we have in place a concerns and complaints policy. This enables children, staff and carers to report anything they feel is of concern.
Concerns should be raised in the following order.
- To the Class Teacher. Then, if there is no resolution;
- To the Head Teacher. Then, if there is no resolution;
- To the Chairman of Governors. Then, if there is no resolution;
- To the Local Authority.
Review of Policy and Practice
In order to ensure that best practice is maintained, our policies are reviewed at least regularly to incorporate the latest statutory guidance emerge. You can view our school policies on our website.
If you would like more information on safeguarding, please contact the school for all our policies or view our policies section on our website.
You may need a product like Adobe Reader (free download) to view our PDF documents on our website.