Here at Middleton-in-Teesdale Nursery and Primary School we have introduced a new initiative called ‘The Daily Mile’ which is being implemented across the whole of the UK within primary schools. Our pupils and teachers are all enjoying taking part in this daily activity which is happening at the beginning of every afternoon.
The aim of the Daily Mile is to improve the physical, emotional and social health and wellbeing of our children – regardless of age or personal circumstances.
It is a profoundly simple but effective concept and it’s impact can be transformational- improving not only the childrens’ fitness, but also their concentration levels, mood, behaviour and general wellbeing.
We want every child to have the opportunity to do a Daily Mile at our school.
The Daily Mile Works
The Daily Mile is successful because it is simple and free:
- It takes place over just 15 minutes, with children averaging a mile each day.
- Children run outside in the fresh air – and the weather is a benefit, not a barrier.
- There’s no set up, tidy up, or equipment required.
- Children run in their uniforms so no kit or changing time is needed.
- It’s social, non-competitive and fun.
- It’s fully inclusive; every child, whatever their circumstances, age or ability, succeeds at The Daily Mile.